Monday, January 14, 2008

I bought the original LP when it came out in '72 (yes.... I'm a old fart); played it to death, planned on buying another few but never did. When I looked for it years later could not find it and it was never brought out on CD. Thought I'd never hear it again until one night a couple of years ago when I was randomly surfin the net i ran across a wonderful blog (audio-history- has since gone to blogger heaven) and there the album was posted by a kind soul (i believe he called himself muse). very hard to find....
(album brought to us originally from Voco -a dj from KSAN - the jive95)

Lights Out: San Francisco

Photobucket


Track List
Lights Out: San Francisco

1. Lights Out-john lee hooker
2. Voco
3. Mahdi (The Expected One) -tower of power
4. Cleo's Back-tower of power-dusty street
5. Loves to Do It - Rick Stevens, Lydia Pense, Jo Baker and Linda Tillery plus Cold Blood's Raul Matute on organ.
6. Dead-cold blood w/ lydia pense
7. Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye-Sylvester with Neal Schon of the group Journey, on guitar
8. Why Was I Born?-Sylvester featuring backup by
a new trio of girls calling themselves The Pointer Sisters ( Anita,Bonnie and June).

9. Brother Antrainik
10. Dina
11. 20/20 Vision


Category: SOUL/R&B

Media: LP
Records in set: 2

Label: BLUE THUMB
Release Number: BTS6004
Manufactured: US USA

(this LP has not been available since 1972 and has not been reissued on CD)

This double-album set is a true collectors' item. Record producer, Voco, and KSAN DJ, Dusty Street, released this compilation of Bay Area talent in 1972. You'll notice that the Tower of Power name is covered up (just to the left of Lydia Pense). That had to do with a minor dispute witn a Warner Brothers Records. The resolution was to cover the Tower of Power name before shipping to retailers.

There are three cuts that include the Tower line up; two originals and one Junior Walker tune. The first song, Mahdi (The Expected One) is a Greg Adams/Skip Mesquite composition which Adams reprised on his solo CD, Hidden Agenda, over twenty years later. The second, Cleo's Back, is a haunting Junior Walker song, composed by Willie Woods. The third, Loves To Do It, is from 'Doc' Kupka, Emilio Castillo and David Garibaldi. It features alternating vocals from Rick Stevens, Lydia Pense, Jo Baker and Linda Tillery plus Cold Blood's Raul Matute on organ.


The album photography and design were by Bruce Steinberg.



enjoy.........

r

4 comments:

Renee said...

Hey, thank you for the post. I have been trying to replace my Lights Out album for years. Ever since I stepped on it and broke both albums.

Of all the albums, tapes , cds I have ever owned it was one of my favorites.

I am glad I am not the only one who remembers it.

Renee

tom7865 said...

my pleasure... enjoy it like I haved recently...still sounds great to me...

Unknown said...

what a GREAT find and a big thank you!! i lost my copy long ago due to an earthquake along with so many other things.

my copy was signed by both Dusty and Voco. yes it still sounds GREAT!

angie

Unknown said...

I too purchased this back in the 70s , but mine was from a bargain bucket in west London , can you believe that !! but unfortunately gone the way of all Vinyl
Larry